Oral Cancer: Things to Be Aware Of
Category : Uncategorized
Posted March 22, 2016.
The uncontrollable growth of cells that invade and damage the surrounding tissues is called cancer. A sore or growth that will not go away develops in the mouth when an individual has oral cancer. Oral cancer can manifest in the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, and hard palate. This disease is life threatening if not diagnosed and treated early. Here at Every Smile, oral cancer screenings are included in your regular checkup. We want you to be aware of oral cancer and its symptoms. Here are some things to watch out for:
- Lumps, swellings, rough spots, or eroded areas on the gums, lips, or inside the oral cavity
- Velvety white, red, or speckled patches inside the oral cavity
- Bleeding in the mouth for an unknown reason
- Numbness or tenderness in the face, mouth, neck, or ear for an unknown reason
- Sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily
- The feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Difficulty speaking, chewing, swallowing, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Chronic sore throat or change in voice
- A change in your bite
- Dramatic weight loss
- A lump in your neck
If you notice any of the above symptoms, contact our office immediately for an exam with Dr. Lee . We invite you to contact our office today to learn more about screening for oral cancer in Chandler, Arizona, and to schedule a visit with our dentists. Our dentist and team are more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.